I’ve been a vegetarian since the ’90s; and I’ve tried quite a few eggplant recipes over the years in my quest to make that particular vegetable enjoyable. This one has been the favourite for what must be going on 20 years now … so I promise, if you’re ever going to like eggplant, this is the one! I think its the cheese that pushes it over the top (and the basil helps!)
1 cup long grain brown rice
4 tbsp olive oil
1 large eggplant
2 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
1 pkg fresh basil, shredded
115 g mozzarella cheese, sliced
Fresh basil sprig
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Prepare rice according to package directions.
3. Brush a baking sheet with a little oil. Peel Eggplant and cut lengthwise into slices; about 1/4 inch. thick. Arrange the slices on the greased sheet.
4. Brush the eggplant slices liberally with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the tomato, basil leaves and cheese slices alternately on top of each
eggplant slice. Brush lightly with oil
5. Sprinkle with ground black pepper and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender and the cheese is bubbling and golden.
6. Serve the slices on a bed of brown rice, garnished with the fresh basil sprig.